Maybe you'd like to start your own business and be seen as The Expert. Maybe you'd prefer to leave the running of a business to someone else and work for an awesome company that supports your love of dogs.
Either way, you can't build a successful career by flying by the seat of your pants. You need an education in the field before you can be The Expert.
That's where I come in. I'm a Certified Professional Dog Trainer. I've been a Professional Dog Walker. I've taught Dog Walkers for over ten years, preparing people just like you to be successful and safe.
Years ago, I started out as a Dog Walker out of convenience; I had a dog with severe separation anxiety and couldn’t leave him alone. I was already working as an apprentice with a Dog Trainer, so it felt like the right path. I quit my corporate job and started walking neighbourhood dogs for a small fee. Word travelled fast, and I started taking on more and more clients. Before I knew it, I was walking dogs full-time and loving the experience I was gaining. I learned so much about dog behaviour and body language and it really helped me to build my dog training career.
The only challenge was that it felt like trial-by-fire. I was learning everything on the fly and I felt like I was dodging bullets. I wished for a program that would teach me all I needed to know to have the confidence to run my business successfully and still love what I was doing. I studied other Dog Walkers and Pet Professionals and continued my education in animal behaviour, and finally launched Toronto’s first Dog Walker Course in 2009 - ten years ago! What started out as a four-hour program, grew into an eight-hour program, a two-day program, a three-day certificate program, and finally, a full online program.
My passion is people AND dogs. I can't wait to share my knowledge, skill, and experience with you, and get to know YOU and why you can't wait to work with dogs.
Caryn speaks from the heart, injecting humour and compassion into all her work. She strives to inspire pet owners and pet professionals to take an active role in learning the language of animals and teaching them appropriate behaviours through humane and science-based training. Drawing on years of experience in the corporate world, she shares a wealth of knowledge in communication, technology, and leadership. Having studied languages, human resources, finance, and psychology, Caryn brings a well-rounded and creative perspective to the table when working with clients both human and canine. As a lifelong learner, she earns continuing education credits each year, ensuring that she is up to date with her skills and knowledge. Caryn has trained dogs, cats, horses, chickens, a rat and even a goldfish. She has a soft spot for German Shepherds and other misunderstood breeds, and three-legged dogs.
- Lessons with clear and detailed information about dog behaviour and body language so that you can confidently understand dogs
- Science-based advice that does not rely on myths and theories
- Video assessments of dogs in action, to practice learning through observation
- Hands-on training techniques that can be easily applied in real-life situations
- Step-by-step training plans for basic behaviours to help you gain control of the dogs in your care
- Tools & equipment so you're not fumbling with the basics
- Group management & screening so you can be sure you're taking on the clients you want and pairing appropriate dogs together
- Training in transport safety and emergency management so that you can be sure the dogs in your care are safe at all times
- Group discussions and Q&A
- Strategies for starting or improving your own business because while we do it for the love of dogs, we keep doing it because we can afford to!
- Coaching in sales, business practices & policies, customer service because not everyone has a masters in business administration
- Confidence in taking the next step in this career
- are interested in a career with dogs
- volunteer or foster with rescue organisations or shelters
- are a current pet professional (dog walker, boarder/pet sitter, daycare staff, shelter worker, veterinarian, or technician)
- love dogs
- want to learn more about canine behaviour & body language
- are tired of the 9-5 grind
- want to run a business or join an already existing one
- love being active in any weather
- want to help people improve their relationship with their dog
Lectures, photo & video analysis, assignments, and discussions
A final exam (online)
Use of a digital badge for marketing materials
One-year membership in our exclusive inner circle, including access to a closed Facebook support group and continuing education opportunities
The days flew by!
A refreshing outlook!
Above and beyond what I was expecting